Monday, February 25, 2008

An ode to teachers

I got this "teacher" forward and while it made me chuckle, it also got me thinking about the teachers I know, the teachers I have had, and just how blessed I am. The public school system gets such a bad rap, sometimes I just feel the need to focus on the positive. In the past eight years Craig and I have been so blessed through the fellow teachers and staff that he works with. Each of our babies were showered with TONS of gifts and a week of meals delivered to our home. "Surprise" gifts have shown up countless times, and so many of the teachers he works with have become close friends, almost like family to us.



Each time I volunteer in Will's class or watch Craig manage energy-filled kids for their turn at PE I am amazed at the love I see poured out into these children's lives. I am so thankful that Craig and many other teachers get the opportunity to show Jesus' love to their students. When I walk into his school I feel safe and surrounded by people who care about me and my family. My parents recently went to the grandparent lunch and they too were amazed at the the whole atmosphere of the school. Their comment was, "wow, I didn't know there were public schools like that anymore."



Part of what makes this distict so special is that from 2nd grade though 12th grade there is weekly bible school. Each class get an hour a week of bible school taught by volunteers from various churches in a building right next to the school. It is optional, of course, but almost all kids attend. Everyone I tell this to finds it incredible. And so I thank God again for another blessing in our public schools.



God is present everywhere, if we just invite Him to be. I believe he walks the halls of that school, as I have prayed each morning for him to be with Will and Craig every moment of the day. I honestly feel His presence when I go there.



By no means do I dissaprove of any other type of schooling, or do I say public school is the only way to go. I am truly amazed by all teachers, whether you teach at a private school or you are a mother homeschooling her kiddos. I truly feel that if we seek God and listen to his Holy Spirit's direction we will each make the choice God desires for our kids. I know He had been present in our decision.



And so, on a lighter note I will leave you with the forward that got me thinking on all this. Hats off to teachers!!! Whatever kind you may be, everywhere and anywhere!!


HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TEACHER? by Jeff Foxworthy

1. You can hear 25 voices behind you and know exactly which one belongs to the child out of line.
2. You get a secret thrill out of laminating something.

3. You walk into a store and hear the words "It's Ms/Mr. _________" and know you have been spotted.

4. You have 25 people that accidentally call you Mom/Dad at one time or another.

5. You can eat a multi-course meal in under twenty-five minutes.

6. You've trained yourself to go to the bathroom at two distinct times of the day: lunch and your planning period.

7. You start saving other people's trash, because most likely, you can use that toilet paper tube or plastic butter tub for something in the classroom.

8. You believe the teachers' lounge should be equipped with a margarita machine.

9. You want to slap the next person who says "Must be nice to work 7 to 3 and have summers off."

10. You believe chocolate is a food group.

11. You can tell if it's a full moon without ever looking outside.

12. Y ou believe that unspeakable evils will befall you if anyone says "Boy, the kids sure are mellow today."

13. You feel the urge to talk to strange children and correct their behavior when you are out in public.

14. You believe in aerial spraying of Ritalin.

15. You think caffeine should be available in intravenous form.

16. You spend more money on school stuff than you do on your own children.

17. You can't pass the school supply aisle without getting at least five items!

18. You ask your friends if the left hand turn he just made was a "good choice or a bad choice."

19. You find true beauty in a can full of perfectly sharpened pencils

20. You are secretly addicted to hand sanitizer and finally,

21. You understand instantaneously why a child behaves a certain way after meeting his or her parents.

8 comments:

Christi said...

Oh my goodness, those were so true!

I can feel myself getting anxious about that next stage of sending them off to school. You know you'll be getting calls from me just so I can have you tell me it's all going to be okay.

I wish my kids could have Mr. Button!!

Anonymous said...

That is a great post, Lin. God is present everywhere, and he's watching over your family, for sure, by surrounding you with a great group of fellow teachers. What a blessing!

LizzyG said...

Ok, what school district is this? I think we might need to move there. That is so amazing!

And I just emailed Sarah's teacher the Jeff Foxworthy quotes, along with a note of thanks. So thank you for this post, I really enjoyed it!

Christy. said...

Lindsey,
I loved your post! I have to say that I was aprehensive about putting Avery into public school last year when she started Kindergarten. I have been pleased beyond measure! Both years now she has had a Christian teacher and I love the conversations that spur from Avery being around non-Christians as well! I just recently went on a field trip with Avery's class and came home with a whole new respect for teachers!!

Ona said...

Great post! Jasmynn is only in the 1st grade but I love her teacher. The kids...I'm a bit worried about. A fifth grader was found in the bathroom with pot. What in the world!!!

Angela said...

This is so great!
We have some awesome teachers around here and a ton of them go to our church.
I am so very thankful for that!

Tiffany said...

It IS quite amazing that your public school still allows and offers Bible School! I am one of those that is shocked to hear this. I remember back in the day when I went to public school and we were bussed to a local church for Bible School if our parents gave permission. Your blog got me thinking that I haven't heard of this being done for years and had almost forgotten about it!

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

Thanks for posting this! Can't wait to send my kids off to Whitworth!!

Love the list. I haven't seen that one before!