Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Project time!

With my time to catch up on things this weekend I have been inspired to work on some projects. The biggest being a re-design of our playroom/family room....I'm currently painting the cabinets I bought for toy storage and I'll be sure to show some before and after pictures of the room....... when it's done that is.....which might be a while. Baby steps, right?
Anyway, I saw this CUTE skirt Michelle (a friend of my friend Christi--I know, blog-hopping) make for her daughter several weeks ago. I used the tutorial at Grand Revival Design to make one for Anna. I didn't follow it exactly, though (big suprise!). The pattern was for a size 5-6. And Anna is only 2 so I figured I'd just minus a couple inches off the measurements. Which worked out pretty well for her waist size. But, as I was putting it together I quickly realized that it was going to be WAY too short. I didn't take into account that it has 4 tiers so that was like subtracting 8 inches off the length (this is typical of how I do things). It looked more like a tu-tu than a skirt. So my fix was to add another tier and ruffle. It is very ruffle-y, but not too bad. Anna loves it. As you can see in the first picture there are still a bunch of threads hanging off it because she was so excited to try it on when she saw me sewing it. I used fabric from my tubs, and I'm excited to try another one. I'll do a little better with following instructions next time.
Here's the beautiful model....she happened to have this hand-me-down yellow top which didn't really go with anything. Now it's an outfit!
And just a close up of the finished product!

9 comments:

Ona said...

You're so creative. It turned out very cute!

Angela said...

That is so adorable!!! You are so creative!
Can't wait to see pictures of the finished room!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute, Lin! Yes, I can't wait to see pictures of the updated room either.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

i have two little girls that would think that was DIVINE. wish i had some skills.

Christi said...

That's so great that you got the idea from Michelle's blog! It's kinda funny that a few years ago we didn't even know what a blog is and now so many parts of our lives are intertwined in it. Anna looks so proud in her new skirt. For sure you gotta post pics of the playroom!!

Angela said...

Okay I can't believe I have never looked at you food blog before what the heck. So cool!

Hey email me

angela@eotnet.net

Mars said...

Yes, of course I remember you! Sorry it took me so long to "reply" back.
I love your blog, and your kids are ADORABLE, and I love that skirt - you could make them and sell them. Really, you could! :)
Glad to see that you are doing well.

Aly sun said...

super cute skirt. I may need to use up some of my endless fabric and make one for Emma. She'd love it.

Michelle said...

Lindsay - great job on the skirt! It's so cute, the fabric you used is so sweet. I guess I should have mentioned in my blog that I used the original measurements and it fit my 2 year old just right. I was planning to just give it to our neighbor girl who is a bit older, but when I finished it, it was just perfect for Livi. I'm glad you tried it, it was fun, wasn't it?