Thursday, April 30, 2009

Feed your children "McDonalds" for less than $.50 a piece!

Lately I have run across several blog posts about being frugal and way to live on a shoestring budget. I have become a bit more of a bargain grocery shopper. I have been looking for ways to save money and spend less. I have been re-purposing things in my house for other uses instead of immediately going out to buy something, Today, I fed my kids a McButton Happy Meal at home for less than .$50 each.
I hit up the Safeway ads and took advantage of my $10 off $50 purchase coupon.
I ONLY bought things on sale.
Safeway Tyson Chicken Nuggets, BOGO this week came out to about $3.50 per package of 45 nuggets. By my calculations (and I had to break out the pencil and paper for long division, here) makes it about 7.5 cents per nugget.
Safeway 10 lb. bag of apples (about 18-20 apples per bag) for $2.99 with coupon, breaks down to $.16/apple.
My two shared an apple. One ate 4 nuggets, the other ate 5. I had leftover caramel topping in my fridge, ranch and ketchup for dipping too, or course, so I didn't purchase those. And they drink water.


If my calculations are correct (and feel free to test me on this, math is not my strong suit!) it came out to $.45/meal.
After lunch read a couple books on the couch or blow bubbles outside. That's a WAY better "prize" than you'd get at McD's (and it won't get thrown in the trash two days later!!)
What's your favorite way to SAVE (and still have fun) these days??

7 comments:

Aly sun said...

Good work. Don't worry, I won't test your math. Chicken Nuggets are also a favorite at our house.

Angela said...

This is great! I lover reading stuff like this... keep it up and share!

Cooking with Big E said...

Sounds like a deal to me! Reminds me that we're out of chicken nuggets...need to restock!

Christi said...

That's awesome! I have been saving more because I can't get to the store as much while I'm working so much :)

Valorie Leonard said...

Nice! Too bad my little one won't eat chicken nuggets!

Stefanie said...

I'm not very good at coupons, resisting a drive thru coffee/lunch once a week? etc...I am trying HARD tho. I think I have gotten better lately. Recently a doctor said to go off caffeine - that will help my budget:)

We made homemade eye make-up remover and bathroom cleaners at my mom's group the other day - that could save me.

Also love to sell on Craig's List!

Tiffany said...

Hrmmm..What do I do to save money lately...
I've been consigning my son's outgrown clothes for credit and "buying" more bigger sizes without spending a dime! Buying generic brand instead of brand name groceries where I can. Line drying clothes when it is nice out instead of using so much electricity. I'm trying to do some of the little things that save big in the end.