Monday, April 06, 2009

Baby Chicks Part 2

Our little chicks are quite the buzz around here and are getting lots of love! But first, I know my mother in law is dying to see photos of the coup Craig built for them, so here it is!
So far the only little chicks occupying this coup are the ones pictures below in the nesting boxes!

The only thing left to attach are the hook/locks for the egg door.
The nesting box area has since been painted white and it looks great. I am so happy with the way it turned out. I guess it pays to have a perfectionist for a husband. He did a great job!
The chicks will move outdoors to their new home around Mother's Day.



The weather has been incredible lately. Sun, glorious sun! We spent all day after church yesterday weeding and cleaning up our yard. All we heard from the kids all day was, "Can we run through the sprinklers???"
After our work was done, I gave in!
















Sprinklers in April in Oregon! Gotta love it!




Chick Update:
Lacey is Anna's chick and her name has been changed back to her original name, Sweetie Pie. She is the yellow chick, a Buff Orpington and is the "pecker" of the three. She is also the biggest chick.
Starly, Will's chick (named after a pokemon character) is the black chick, she is a Barred Rock. She is the most skittish and I think she'll be the flyer of the group as well. I'm already contemplating putting a net over the top of the rubbermaid tote because I have startled her a couple times and she's gotten within 6 inches of the top!
April, Wyatt's chick is the sweetest (maybe she should have been named sweetie pie, oh well). She is also the smallest and the best one to hold. She has however had some problems with her poop. I read somewhere that chicks can get a condition called pasting up in which their poop dries to their bottoms, plugs them up, and they can die! I am a little paranoid about this happening to April (Craig has called me, "mother hen" on more than one occasion). So this morning I took a wet rag and a toothpick and went to town cleaning off her bum. Craig likens it to wiping that icky tar poop off a baby's bum there first couple days of life. I'm not sure it was even that enjoyable!
Oh, the joys of raising hens! Don't you wish YOU had some??







8 comments:

Elaine said...

That is so awesome that you got chickens. We want to get some also, but first we had so many home projects to do and now life is a little uncertain...so we will have to wait. Craig did an awesome job on the coop. We might need to borrow those plans when we are ready! :)
BTW- Looks like your kiddos had a blast in the sprinklers!

Angela said...

SO fun!
We have talked about doing that the past few years. What a cool pen!

A Barr said...

my brother just got some chicks too and is building a coop. I am going to have him look at this to get more ideas. Sustainable living. I love it!

Tiffany said...

That isn't a coop. That is a luxury chicken mansion! So who will get to clean it? I think that because you are doctoring the baby chick's bum that someone other than you should have to clean the coop.

Stefanie said...

Well, aren't there a lot of talented ones this year?!

But, my fav. is probably Danny Gokey. I think Allison is amazing and Adam isn't my type, but so talented.

What about you?

Stefanie said...

Well, aren't there a lot of talented ones this year?!

But, my fav. is probably Danny Gokey. I think Allison is amazing and Adam isn't my type, but so talented.

What about you?

KLB said...

I want some baby chicks! They are so cute and what a great coop!

handfull of johnsons said...

Very cool. Can you give her something? Like prune juice or something? That's what you do with babies. =-) So weird, we mom's are. I hate the boy's frog, but if I think something's wrong with him, I can't concentrate on anything else and I have to "mother" him until he's hopping and happy again. =-)