Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Rag Curlers

Another fun book I picked up at the Library is The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life by Jennifer Worrick. I browsed through it one evening and while I probably won't actually do 99% of the ideas in the book, it was again, inspirational. I came across a section on rag curlers and I was immediately reminded of my own experience with rag curlers. As a little girl about 8 or 9 years old, my grandma would dampen my hair with beer (I know gross, but true) and wrap my hair up in rag curlers. For this little girl with fine, straight hair, awaking to a head full of tight curls was quite exciting. I had never done this with Anna, so I thought I'd give it a try:
First, you need a little girl with shoulder length or longer hair. Then, about 20 1-2'' x 10'' pieces of flannel strips. Start with freshly washed, damp hair and roll up your hair around the strip in 1-2" sections starting at the neck line and working your way up. When you reach the scalp, tie each in a tight knot. When you are finished your head will look like this. Too cute!
It you happen to have a sleeping cap, that would be even more adorable. But here she is ready for bead and a head full of curls in the morning.
Untie the rags in the morning and gently loosen each curl with your fingers (I used a spray or two of de-tangler, just to soften the curls, they will be very tight!)

Admire your pretty hair in the mirror!


And as the author of the book writes, "Tie back with a ribbon if you want to look your Sunday best. Leave your curls loose and messy if you're planning to hit the saloon instead."




7 comments:

Mindi said...

This is too cute!

Cooking with Big E said...

What a cutie! I should try this with Grace. We tried the sponge rollers and she took them out in the middle of the night so they didn't work so well.

Unknown said...

Love it. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Anonymous said...

I will never again wish away my curly hair! Anna's hair is so long and pretty. My girls have a looong time before they reach that length.

Christi said...

I love it!! What an awesome book. Anna is so lucky to have a Mommy that will do such special things with her.

Elaine said...

I have that book! My sister-in-law gave it to me. I thought it was a lot of fun to read!
Anna's hair looks adorable! I bet she loved her curls. :)

lori said...

This is a great post, Lindsay. I remember getting my hair put in rags too as a kid. And do you remember how great it was to sleep in braids and see how curly the hair could get? Good, old fashioned fun.

That book sounds super cool!