Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Dirt

Not just any dirt....RICH BLACK COMPOST....is it weird that looking at these pictures of dirt excite me? Yesterday my wonderful husband indulged me and bought me a huge load of compost for my garden beds, which I helped him unload and put into our garden beds. Every year I try my hand at gardening and I have decided that this is the year for the ultimate garden. I have big plans for these little beds.....

Carrots, lettuce, snap peas, tomatoes, onions, basil, peppers, beets, radishes, cilantro, and cucumbers are on the list so far. I'm also planning on planting a pumpkin and squash patch further out along out fence. Call me crazy, but it's thrilling!
So, do you plant a garden? And if so, I love to know what's on your list this year....and any tips you might have for the best garden yet. Please share....

5 comments:

Angela said...

I have zero tips but I am excited to see what you grow! I am sure it will be great!
I am thinking I will do one too! We will see? :)

KLB said...

I would love to garden, but I tend to kill plant life. I am not sure what it is...maybe its because I forget to water. You may need to set up a veggie stand! he he Good luck!

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

Ohh fun!! I usually plant tomatoes, chives, green beans, cucumber, red and yellow bell peppers, basil, dill, oregano, cilantro, mint . . . what else? Oh, we did mini pumpkins last year and that was SO much fun!! We just put the seeds in the ground along the fenceline, and they did great! I might add some more veggies. I've done carrots and lettuce and snap peas in the past, and those are fun. Mitch says NO zucchini. I love zucchini!! If you plant them, you have to put me on your list of people who would take them!!

Elaine said...

The garden is a passion of my farmer-at-heart husband. I enjoy it as well, but he does most of the initial work. :) We usually do tomatoes, bell & jalepeno peppers, grean beans, crookneck squash, chives, cucumber, lettuce, spinach (for the boys), carrots, sunflowers, and pumpkins. Although the last two years, the pumpkin plants we bought turned out to be something else! It was funny and frustrating. :)
We bought our property from a retired farmer. They continued to live in the mobile home next to the house for three years until their health went downhill. They were serious gardeners. We shared their giant garden patch and our side always looked so bad compared to their's. We have definitely learned a lot! Good luck on the project. I am sure you will enjoy it! :)

Tiffany said...

I'm jealous! Though we have the space for them on our side yard my husband refuses to put in raised garden beds for me. I have yet to figure out why. So last year I ripped out an established flower & shurbs bed behind our house and planted strawberries and a tomato plant. That is all there is room for. *cry*