Monday, February 02, 2009

Anna's first haircut

Saturday evening Wyatt and Anna were playing in her room together. He had a brush and wanted me to take her braid out of her hair so that she could be a princess. I said sure and though nothing of it. A while later I walked back down the hall to find Wyatt with a pair of scissors in his hand and a chunk of Anna's hair in his fist. I am very embarrassed to say how I reacted, but lets just say there was yelling, tears, and a worried husband rushing back to find out what in the world had happened. Wyatt claims he was trying to make Anna "beautiful princess" by cutting her hair, and Anna was crying saying that she didn't want her hair cut and to put it back. I was on my way out the door to pick up Will so I left Craig to deal with the situation, and it was probably a good thing because I was able to calm down a bit.
When I got back home and surveyed the damage I realized it was not all that bad. The section of hair he cut is underneath her top layer so it hides pretty well. However I was still kinda shaken up so Craig offered to call my friend who does my hair and see if she could come by and give her opinion. She was so sweet and stopped by, and agreed with us that not much could be done. But while she was here I decided to have her give Anna a little trim anyway since she has never had her hair officially cut (by anyone other than me). Anna loved it and I'm so glad I thought to pull my camera out and take pictures. She was giddy with excitement and it turned everything around into a fun experience!






And yes, these pictures posted in reverse order. And yes, Anna is really into the fake smile with squinty eyes right now. And yes, I knew I would be getting off lucky if nothing like this ever happened! And yes, I know I am really anal about my daughters hair.



5 comments:

Cooking with Big E said...

Yikes! I'm pretty sure I would have had a similar reaction as yours, but at least the damage wasn't permanent. Cute pictures!

Aly sun said...

I know how you feel and I had a similar reaction when my oldest hacked away at her own hair, but I sick also so I sat down on the bed and balled (Lucy style). So glad it turned into positive experience. Your children certainly keep you on your toes. And you are alive to blog about it, which we all appreciate.

Elaine said...

She looks so cute sitting there getting her hair done! I can't believe Wyatt did that...yes, I think our second borns would get along great!

Unknown said...

Hey! Its so fun to see your blog! Your kids are so cute & I can totally see you in Anna. (Especially the beautiful blond locks...:) I guess every brother dreams of making an impact on their sister hair:)

PS If you click on the valentines brownie on my blog here are easy directions on how to make them.:)
www.ashbyfamilyblog.blogspot.com

PPSS I also did a post on Marge for her birthday...you might like it. I think its archived now on the right hand side of the blog.

Christy. said...

I completely understand your freak out, I would have done the same thing! I used to be so attached to the girls' long and beautiful locks. The kids' hairdresser was SHOCKED when, last December, we went in and the girls were going to cut it off and donate it to Locks of Love. I wish their hair was long again, minus the brushing it...