Sunday, February 15, 2009

V-day

I have a confession to make (in case you didn't already know). I married a man who doesn't cook. Thankfully, I love that chore, and would much rather be cooking dinner after a long day while he entertains the kids. Cooking is therapeutic for me and I'm so glad God thought to pair me up with this guy who will wrestle with the kids while I'm in the kitchen.
I shouldn't go without saying that Craig is an awesome BBQer and he can make a mean bowl of cereal (according to Wyatt). However the last time he cooked me dinner was approximately 12 years ago when we were dating in college, and he attempted a recipe for Spare Ribs. The recipe called for red wine and being he was about 19 at the time and didn't have access to red wine, he substituted the red wine for, get this ladies.......RED WINE VINEGAR. Lets just say ribs simmered in a cup of red wine vinegar end up tasting, well, very vinegary.
So, when he suggested that we cook together for our Valentines dinner, I was shocked, but also thought it sounded like a fun idea. I can't remember when or if we have ever cooked together....perhaps in our early marriage years when we didn't have little ones to entertain. We talked about making something fun, something we'd really like, but something the kids probably wouldn't eat since they'd be in bed anyway. We realized several years ago that we both love Thai food and we were given this humongous Thai cookbook (seriously 4 inches wide) which we have never made anything from. We decided on a pretty simple recipe for Cashew Chicken. After the kids went to bed we started cooking. I started coconut rice and Craig cut up the chicken. I chopped veggies and Craig stir fried. The end result was pretty tasty....I think we may be on to something here. I'm already pouring over this baby deciding which recipe we'll try next. I just had to take a picture to prove how ginormous this thing is!


Hope your V-day was lovely. I also got another personalized CD from my sweetie with a note explaining why he chose each song. I 'm sure I have already listened to it a dozen times. I love that guy, and his red wine vinegar. :)

4 comments:

handfull of johnsons said...

That's so sweet! I remember that dinner the boys took us to years ago...and that they drove clear out there ahead of time to leave flowers for us. And I especially remember us puting letters on our nails "I love Craig" and "I love Mike". Those were the days. Didn't have to pay for babysitting, could stay out as long as we wanted, didn't have to pay bills...life's different now but still just as rich! Love you and miss you friend! Give yourself a bug hug for me.

Tiffany said...

C'mon over to my house...I'll entertain the kids while you cook for me!!!

I hate that chore...probably 'cuz I'm not really good at it and my end results turn out like Craig's Red Wine Vinegar chicken.

KLB said...

What a great Valentines day! The dish looks like you went out to eat! Very impressive.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story, Lindsay! I love it, and the fact that you cooked your dinner together after so many years. It looks like it was delish!