Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pita Bread

The rising stage
Almost done (hey I think these might actually turn out!)
And they did.....a yummy, soft pita waiting the filling of my choice.

Growing up on of my most favorite sandwiches was tuna on pita with sprouts, sunflower seeds and couple of my Dad's homemade sweet pickles on the side. But I can never seem to find pita bread at the discount grocery store in our neck of the woods, so I have not had it for quite some time. A month or two ago I got to thinking about how yummy pita bread sounded. I looked up a recipe online and printed it off to try sometime. Well, this week over at Home Sanctuary one of our "small things" was to make something from scratch. The first thing I thought of was that pita bread recipe I've had clipped to my fridge for a couple months now. So I decided to give it a go!
I was so pleased (and surprised) with the results! They were soft and delicious. After cooling, Wyatt and I broke one up and ate it on the spot. He commented, "this is good bread, mom". I served them lat night with Picnic Chicken Pita Filling and they were a hit for dinner.
I'll be baking another batch, soon!

13 comments:

Aly sun said...

Oh, you made me so hungry! Those look delicious and I am almost tempted to drive to your house and beg for leftovers. Or maybe I should just make my own.

Good idea, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Those look perfect, Lin!

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

I am SO inspired!!! I just HAVE to try this!!

Angela said...

You my friend are amazing! I wish we lived closer so you could teach me a thing or two!!!

Michelle said...

Those look delicious! I'm going to try those....thanks for the great idea!

Kristen said...

Are you going to share the recipe?? They sound yummy!

Lindsay said...

Yes, if you click on "pita bread recipe" in the text it will link you to allrecipes. It's called Peppy's Pita Bread!

Kristen said...

Ah, didn't notice the link when I first read it...thanks! And how are you feeling??

Christy. said...

Those look so good! I might have to try those!

Carol said...

Love the pita bread! Pite breads rocks!

Tiffany said...

Ohhh a Silpat! I swear anything will turn out if cooked on a Silpat! I can't burn things on there even when I try!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Well, the coffee is probably cold almost 48 hours later, but I thought I'd drop in to meet and say hello!

Your family is adorable, the pita bread looks delicious, and I am so excited to have a NEW way to try tuna fish. It's midnight, and your description made my mouth water! I'm anxious to try the chicken salad, too!

Hope you had a blessed weekend!

Aly sun said...

I did it! It turned out really yummy. I have not ever had such delicious pita bread. The next day it was not as good, fresh just nocked my socks off.