Friday, May 30, 2008

Our Love Story

Craig and I met in August ’95. We were both freshman standing in the parking lot of WPC waiting to load up and set off for our freshman class retreat. I remember spotting Craig across the parking lot. He stood out with his sun bleached blonde hair, and tanned muscular arms. But what I remember the most was how he had a quiet confidence about him. Everyone was trying to fit in, and there of course were the clowns, the people running around, being silly, the shy ones, and the ones you could tell, thought they were pretty cool. But Craig, I noticed was different. He was quiet, but in a confident sort of way. I could tell he wasn’t really shy, yet he wasn’t boastful or attracting unnecessary attention to himself.

I decided I HAD to meet him.

The opportunity came during a round of speed uno. A bunch of us were sitting in a circle, my friend and roomie Christi sat in-between Craig and I, and when he asked our names, we introduced ourselves. I remember hearing him ask Christi again the pronunciation of my name (Lin-zay, not Lin-zee). And I hoped he would remember me.

A week or two later we were with a group of friends at the riverside in downtown Portland. The group broke up for a while and Craig and I walked together. It was then we had “the talk”. You know, the “I like you and would like to further our relationship” talk. It’s so funny to me how nervous I remember being.

We were an “item” for a couple months. But being in a small college where everybody knows everybody’s business started getting to me. The year pervious I had broken up with a boyfriend whom I dated for over a year and I’d told myself I wasn’t going to rush into anything at college. I got a little freaked out at how fast I was falling for him. So, I did the unthinkable.
I broke up with Craig.

We were broken up for a couple months, and during those two months Craig probably did one of the wisest things he could do. He backed off. We were still friends, of course and hung out together, but he gave me time. He even went out on a “date” (sort of) with a girl from his home town over Christmas break. It was then I started asking myself, what the heck was I doing? I had the time I needed. I had come to the conclusion that I really liked this guy. I didn’t want him dating other girls. I wanted him back as my boyfriend. So, when school started up again in January we sat in C Lounge and had another “talk”. This time it seemed much more comfortable. I shared with him some of my fears and how I wanted this relationship to start. He shared with me that while he loved being my friend, he really wanted to be my boyfriend.

On our first Valentines Day Craig took me out to a nice restaurant in downtown Portland. On the way there he said he had a song to play for me. It was Geoff Moore’s “If You Could See What I See”. I remember feeling like I was dreaming, a little dizzy, and totally taken aback. I knew he loved me and I had to admit, I was falling in love with him. It was a rather bold move, I thought, as we had only been back together for about a month. But that’s one of the things I love about Craig. It was one of my most favorite moments. That was the song we had sung at our wedding.

We continued dating for almost two years, then in the fall of ’97 at Button Pond, Craig got down on his knee with a gorgeous ring, and said, “Lin, I want you to be my best friend for life, starting today. Will you marry me?”

Of course I said YES!!!
We then had a BBQ picnic which I couldn’t eat because I was too excited. May 30, 1998 we were married and finished out our senior year of college as newlyweds along with three of our best friends. That year was not without challenges, and I learned so much, but I can honestly say it was one of my best years ever.
(so sorry about the terrible picture quality. I do not have a scanner, but I really wanted to include some pics!)
Craig’s 21st birthday was in June, and we had been married not even a month. His favorite dessert is chocolate chip cheesecake so I set out the evening before to make it. I started fairly late and by the time the cheesecake was done, it was past time for bed. The thing is, for the best results you have to turn the oven off and let the cheesecake sit and come to room temperature before putting it in the fridge. I decided to go to bed and just set my alarm for an hour or two, get up, put the cheesecake in the fridge and go back to sleep. When I got up to put the cheesecake away I was still half asleep. Somehow I managed to drop the entire thing upside down on the floor of our kitchen. It was completely ruined and I was so devastated. Trying so hard to be a good loving wife, making my new husband his favorite cheesecake, I felt like a failure. I went to bed sobbing and Craig was probably laughing inside. He just rubbed my hair and told me it was ok.

(By the way, I made a SECOND cheesecake the next day and it turned out well. And I totally laugh about that story, now!)

God has blessed me beyond what I could have ever asked for during my married years with Craig. Craig is my support. He is always strong when I feel weak. He never complains. He provides for our family, and wants to see me happy. But most importantly he seeks the Lord and inspires me to walk closer with my Father.

Dear Craig,

Love is listening to me ramble about my day, tell stories about all the insignificant things the kids said, or describe in detail how my grocery shopping went. Love knows just where to massage my head when I get a migraine. Love is bringing me a towel hot from the dryer when I get out of the bath. Love is making a late night run to DQ for blizzards so I can sit on the couch and not miss Survivor. Love is a pot of coffee every morning that I didn’t have to brew. Love is getting up a little earlier to run, so that I can have an extra 20 minutes to sleep before mine. Love is not freaking out when I go into a too tired, too hormonal, too overwhelmed, sobbing episode. Love is an empty dishwasher when I go to unload it. Love is indulging me in my never ending furniture re-arranging ideas (especially when you know it’s going to end up just like it was to begin with). Love is going on family walks and talking and dreaming together. Love is giving the kids baths after I’ve had a long day, and taking the extra time to brush Anna’s hair and put lotion on her, just because she’s your baby girl. Love is taking the boys fishing even though it means more snagged lines and lost lures and less time for you to fish. Love is being a perfectionist, (cause you know I’m not!). Love is sending me an email just because. Love is telling me I’m beautiful, despite the pounds I’ve gained and the stretch marks I bear. Love is hauling up extra water to the trailer so that I can have a shower when we go hunting. Love is having a husband who prays with me everyday and keeps our family grounded in Christ. You, my love, are all these things and so much more. I love having YOU for a best friend! Ten of the most wonderful years of my life have been spent as your wife. Happy Anniversary!



10 comments:

Angela said...

Loved reading this!

Happy Anniversary you guys!!!

Aly sun said...

You really got me going on this one. I actually have tears! I love a romance and yours is great. Your love story is beautiful and the love note at the end is beyond touching. You've got a good guy and it was so fun to read the fun details of your courtship.

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! I've been thinking about you all this week knowing this special day was coming up for you. You are a beautiful couple that God has blessed and I'm so happy for you. Have a wonderful day/evening/weekend together!!

Christi said...

I love that I got to be a part of that in the beginning and now can see where God has taken you guys together. I'm glad you explained that breaking up bit cause none of us ever understood how such a great couple could be apart...I get that it was all part of the process. I'm so glad that you even decided to go to Warner so all this could happen!

Love you BOTH!!

Garth Hamilton said...

Happy Anniversary! Garth and I celebrated our 10 year in March. I loved reading about how you guys met, because I don't think I've ever heard how. It sounds like God has really blessed your marriage just like He's blessed mine and Garth's.

Kathy

Tiffany said...

Well, if that last part isn't a love letter then I don't know what is!

Michelle said...

Wow, that makes me teary! What a cool story, sounds like you guys have a really cool relationship.

Christy. said...

I got teary reading this! Happy Anniversary! We were married just over 3 months before you. :0)

Tami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tami said...

I agree--that was such a great story! We just celebrated our 10th on June 6th.

Tami