Saturday, May 17, 2008

from skirt to shoulder bag

A while ago I found a link with a pattern for a really cute shoulder bag and had been toying with the idea of attemping one of my own. This was once again and idea I stole from Michelle's blog (thanks!) and she said it was easy and quick. Well, yesterday I was going through my clothes, sorting and getting rid of things, and I came across this skirt I have had for about a year now and never worn. I have debated getting rid of it before, but it is a really nice skirt and I kept thinking that someday....with the perfect top.... I might be brave enough to wear it. But honestly it fit a little big and it was a little bright. Then, suddenly I thought of the shoulder bag pattern. I decided that while this material in skirt form might be a little much I could probably do a little splash of color for a bag/purse, and so I gave it a try. I wish I had a picture of me WEARING the skirt that I transformed into a purse. But here is what's left of it.
(As I took this picture it totally reminded me of Giselle in Enchanted....when she makes a dress out of his curtains, and they're hanging there with the dress all cut out? It's funny, if you haven't seen it, you really should.) Anyway.....
My sewing skills are VERY limited (like 7th grade home-ec and anything else I have taught myself since then) and I don't always follow directions well, cause I'm always in such a rush to get it done! But I did on this one and it was SUPER easy and fast. I think the final result will be a fun bag for summer-time. And I am already thinking about what kind of fabric I can recycle for my next shoulder bag......
By the way, if you're interested in the instructions go to http://www.tinyhappy.typepad.com/ and click on the tutorial for shoulder bag. It's all there!

7 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Lindz, how martha of you. I so wish that I could see a skirt see a future purse. But alase I don't even know what I am making for dinner tonight.

Michelle said...

Lindsay - That turned out SOOOOOO cute! Way to go!!!! I love the material for a purse....perfect for the summer, so cheery. Did you have fun making it? Pretty easy, eh? And super cute. I love that you made it from your skirt.....I just might have to go looking in my closet now!

Michelle said...

Also...here's another link to a cute bag, pretty similar except that this one is more 'bucket-style' with the bottom portion, but I'd love to try it and again, it looks pretty easy, and it's reversible, which could be really fun. Let us know if you try it too! :-)
http://lulalouise.blogspot.com/2008/01/reversible-shoulder-bag-tutorial.html

Christi said...

When I first met Michelle I instantly knew she would be a close friend because she reminded me so much of my great friend Lindsay. Who knew that they would be making cute crafts together through the blog? I LOVE the bag!!

Valorie Leonard said...

Lindsay! I love the bag. I can't wait to see what other projects you will be working on!

Aly sun said...

Love this idea. I once made a long dress into a short dress and then into a skirt. Also, once I gave a shirt that I never wore to my sister-in-law Jayne, and the next time I saw her, she was carrying a purse sewn from the shirt. So clever.

Tiffany said...

Thanks for this link. I recently bought a pattern to try to make a cloth bag and it turned out so massive I felt like I could put an elephant in it. I like yours much better and might try to make it!