Saturday, December 22, 2007

Sew like crazy

I have finished up my sewing projects for Christmas. I am one of those people who loves fabric, and I buy it with good intentions. I just find myself so swamped with other "duties" that I seldom find the time to sew. Recently I organized all the fabric I had, and set up my sewing machine back in our bedroom. I realized I had accumulated three tubs FULL of fabric. I decided that my goal this year would be to make as much as I could in the way of gifts, without buying any more fabric. I came across this camo fabric, I think I've had at least 3 years. My original intentions were to make matching jammies for the boys. Like that ever happened! So instead I decided to make them matching rag quilts. As of Tuesday I was only about 1/2 done with the first one. I spent most of nap time sewing and I finished them both yesterday! I can now wrap them up for the boys for Christmas! I also made Anna a pillow for her new big girl bed. We ended up finding a clearance deal on a quilt for her bed, but I still wanted something personal and home-made for her bedroom. So I took scraps of her nursery bedding along with some other scraps I had from another rag quilt and pieced them all together for a very shabby chic look. I also made another pillow like hers, for a friend, and one apron. All in all, I spent $0, it was all fabric from my tubs. Still, I haven't made much of a dent in the fabric! But, I'm glad to have done a few projects. Now I can fully say I am READY for Christmas!!







7 comments:

Christi said...

That is awesome!! You will not believe how many compliments I get on my rag quilt. It's the first thing everyone notices when they see Milo's room. I love the idea of taking scraps from Anna's nursery to make her pillow.

Angela said...

Those are so great!
I wish I knew how to sew. I have two sewing machines that were passed down to me and I think I need you to come show me how to use them!
Your kiddos will love these gift made by you!
Have a very merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, those are so cute, and I especially LOVE the pillow! Kristi made Matthew his own rag quilt and it is one of my favorite things. I love it! I really wish I could sew! I love that it didn't cost you anything but time, and those are such special keepsakes for the kids. Merry Christmas to all of you!

Tiffany said...

I just love handmade gifts. And these that you have ready to give your children will be things they will treasure for years simply because mom made 'em!

Kristen said...

I "sew" need a sewing lesson! I have my mom's Serger and sewing machine, but unfortunately I don't know much about sewing. The things you made are so cute!

Aly sun said...

You and I have so much in common, it is funny when I read your blog. The big difference here is that you not only got motivated and organized all your fabric, you actually did something with it! Good job! The quilts and pillow look great!

Tiffany said...

I don't know if I can comment on your photo slide show of Christmas so I'm leaving it here. I absolutely LOVE the photo of Anna and Craig holding out their hands to let snowflakes fall on them. Priceless.