Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Crib Climbing

In May I posted about how Anna had climbed out of her crib, as a Mother's Day gift to me. Well, it continued on for about a week, and then one day when she was throwing a tantrum I put her in her crib to "cool down". She climbed out that time and hurt herself enough to realize maybe she wouldn't try it for a while.

I have been holding my breath and counting my blessing for the past 4 months, as she continued to go to sleep very nicely and hasn't attempted the climbing anymore.

Right now, however, she is asleep on the floor right inside her bedroom door. I know this because after the 4th time of discipline and putting her back in her crib I gave up and that is where she fell asleep. It's actually really cute.

So now I'm contemplating moving her to a big girl bed again, if this continues. She is pretty fearless and it's actually kind of scary watching her climb out. She justs hangs and "drops". Of course I don't want her to get hurt again. And I figure, if she's just going to crawl out and fall asleep on the floor....she might as well have a big girl bed. She's almost 2, so maybe I should just start training her to sleep in her bed instead of her crib. I know, a MAJOR dilemma....haha.

What do you all think??? Any tips here?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think she'd do great in a big girl bed! Sarah's first night in a big bed was on her 2nd birthday and it happened to fall on that day because we got a bigger bed and she got ours! Anna sounds ready (and determined) to be big! If you think she's ready you could try a toddler bed for a while or put her mattress on the floor in the interim. You'll make the right choice for you and for her!

Kristen said...

We had the kind of crib you could lower the rails on, so when the kids starting climbing out of theirs, we would lower the rails so at least it was easier to get out of...without getting hurt. If your crib doesn't do that, I definitely think it is time to get a toddler bed or big bed. We did the toddler bed thing with Maree, but only because my parents bought it. I probably would have skipped right to a big bed. Kelly's idea of putting the crib mattress on the floor is great. Although the novelty of a new bed may encourage Anna to stay in it! :)