Thursday, October 02, 2008

Rain

As I was falling asleep last night to the sounds of thunder and rain, I couldn't help but think of how this would affect my morning. Anna and I have established a pretty good schedule of walking in the mornings after the boys are off at school, and it is probably my most favorite part of the day. Breathing the fresh fall air and clearing my mind charges me up for the day and I look forward to it. Spending one on one time with Anna and hearing her chatter the whole way is so special.

It was still raining this morning, and I was disappointed to have to put my walk on hold. I started my Life Journaling for the day and was reading in Psalm 147. I got to verse 8 and read:

He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes the grass grow on the hills.
My outlook was immediately changed and I thanked God for the rain I'm sure we needed. Isn't it just our human nature to grumble and complain about things because we don't see the whole picture of how the Lord is working in our lives? I know that is my tendency. But God used something as small as a rainy morning to show me that His plans are the best, and that I can trust him to take care of me!

2 comments:

Aly sun said...

Perspective is an amazing thing. As you pointed out, when we only look at ourselves, we don't see the big picture. Thanks for this mini devotional this morning. :)

PS And another perspective is your friend, the farmer's wife, who is looking forward to seeing her husband before 8pm tonight because it is raining.

Anonymous said...

So true! I am the same way when it comes to rain and soggy weather in general, but I need to put it in perspective. Thanks for a great reminder!