Monday, October 20, 2008

Cider

This was cider pressin' weekend for us! Everyone in my family has been scrounging apples this past week and we all got together on Saturday to use them up. We ended up with about 12 gallons of cider and it sure is yummy! My mom reminisced about how the year they bought this apple cider press I was 10 months old and watched them make cider from a play-pen! That was a little nostalgic for me as I realized my kids are now older then I was then, and they are participating in the cider tradition.
Here's grandpa giving Will a lesson on tossing in the apples:
Wyatt putting one down the chute!
Sampling the juice.....
Pressing the juice! Each kid got a chance to fill a barrel and then press the juice, with a little help from the strong daddy's, if needed.
Look at the color! We had a good variety of apples to mix in.
We finished up and headed inside for some warm soup. It was another fun fall day!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Lindsay - I wish we lived close enough to be friends! You do such cool things and have such a neat way about you. Your kids are going to grow up with such great memories. How fun to get to make your own cider, it's so delicious isn't it? This is a great time of year.

Michelle said...

Hey! Thanks for your comment, too!

I found another tutorial that is so easy and fun. I made my mom one for her birthday, so I'll probably post about it next week after she gets it in the mail. :-) Here's the link in case you want to try it:

http://dragoknit.blogspot.com/2007/02/box-bag-tutorial.html

You'll have to post a pic of your purse, I love seeing the things you make!

Angela said...

That is so cool! I bet it was soooooo good!

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

What a cool tradition!! Love it!

Christi said...

I love that tradition. I wonder how a girl would get her hands on one of them there cider-makin' machines.