Thursday, October 30, 2008

Better and Faster

One of my most favorite kids book is "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel". I love how even though all the steam shovels get cast aside for the newer and better models, Mike keeps his Maryann. And how a re-occurring line is "we always work better and faster when someone is watching us". And how the town mayor "smiles in a rather mean way" until the very end when he smiles in a way that is not mean at all. I never really thought about WHY I like the book so much, I just knew I did.

Well, yesterday Craig was home sick and so it was a really awkward day. First of all, he never gets sick, and second of all he's never home when the kids are in school and I'm going about my daily routine. It just doesn't happen so it felt kind of weird. But I continued as I would on any other day, and at the end of the day I was reflecting on just how much I accomplished. I folded clothes, I cleaned both bathrooms, the kitchen was tidy, I practiced piano with Wyatt, I went grocery shopping.....it was just a good day. I kinda realized that part of it was because I had someone watching me (even though he was napping 1/2 the time :). Then I thought of good ol' Mike Mulligan and Maryann and realized that I, too, work a little better and a little faster when someone is watching me.

There are days I feel lazy and the daily tasks around the house seem very unappealing. But what I realized is that even though no one may be here to watch me, I can still take every day as an opportunity to work a little better and a little faster.....cause God sees.

Enough of my rambling. Just go check out the book. Maybe you'll love it as much as I do!

2 comments:

Beth in NC said...

LOL ... you sound like me. I don't feel as relaxed when my husband messes up my normal routine. I usually look for everything that needs to be done and I stay busy. (I pray your hubby feels better.) Blessings to you!

LizzyG said...

I think I have "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" memorized in its entirety! Daniel used to love that book, and I would read it to him over and over when he was younger...I love that book!