Friday, June 05, 2009

Fun Summer Activity #1: Oobleck

This week has been a whirlwind of activity and crazy busy at our house. Today marks our first full day of summer and we are spending it inside since the weather is rainy (awesome thunder and lighting storm last night) and I have a little boy with terrible allergies who was up last night wheezing and having trouble breathing (visit to the doctor later this afternoon). This morning I am making myself find time to sit down at the computer and blog!
I am posting something we did over the weekend, mostly to keep me accountable for all the fun summer activities I have rolling around in my head to accomplish these next three months. I will try to post them under "fun summer activities" so you all can see what we're up to.
So moms, my question is: Does this picture make you cringe??
This is called oobleck (I think), although you could call it whatever you want, and it is just about the easiest thing to make. I do recommend this activity for the outdoors, and have a hose handy for spray down for the kiddos (and your porch) when finished.
It is the weirdest stuff, feels like you can grab it, but then just melts in your hands. Try your feet in the oobleck, too, like Wyatt did.









The recipe:
1 part cornstarch
1 part water
mix and color with tempura paint if desired
I would also recommend putting it in a large container, mine was a little crowded for three kids to play around.
Definitely cheap (the entire box of cornstarch was less than $1 and I didn't use all of it), easy, and provided a fun sensory experience for the kids.
HAPPY SUMMER!




8 comments:

Joyce said...

I remember making this in science class in 7th grade, and going over the properties. It is weird...but so fun.

http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com

Dani said...

Looks fun! I will definitely have to make it!

Aly sun said...

They made this at OMSI when we were there last. It was fun, but I did cringe a bit when I thought of doing it at home. You are an adventurous mommy!

handfull of johnsons said...

I love seeing Anna in her princess dress, totally into the gunk!! That's my girl!
I did this with my Alex and Lucas and mixed in food coloring. Oops! We had green hands for a while. But I hope they remember it forever. With my own boys I'll definitely try the tempra paint. =-) Thanks for the tip!

KLB said...

I have made that with my classes before. Its so much fun. I found a web site that has a recipe for slime too. I will try and find it for you. he he

Christi said...

I love that classic look on Wyatt's face that says, "Yeah, we are just that crazy here at the Button house."

Burkulater said...

Found you looking around for other moms to read from. This looks like lots of fun...I think I remember it from 4th grade! I love that your daughter is in a princess dress!

Michelle said...

Ooh, yes! We love Oobleck! I love playing with it, too, it's such a cool consistency, and when it dries, it's super easy to clean up! Glad to see you are having a fun summer! I'll be looking forward to more posts on what you are doing, so I can get more ideas as well!