Monday, May 04, 2009

Practicing

Friday night I had the BEST time with my good friend Christi. She suggested we get together for coffee and study up on our cameras. This girl's blog inspired us. We both have similar models but hadn't really taken the time to read the manual and learn how to use all the settings. I loved my photography class back in high school....but let's face it, that was 15 + years ago, and I really had no clue about F-stops and apertures back then, let alone now.


One of my biggest goals was figuring out the different settings on my camera, being able to take nice indoor pictures in natural light and get that blurred background affect. Today I took my camera out for about 5 minutes and practiced.



I started with an easy subject. He gladly stood still in the rain while I snapped, adjusted settings, snapped again. I like the blurred background.



Next was my lone yellow tulip. I have ONE tulip in my yard this year. I don't know what is up with that. But here she is standing gracefully in the rain. Again, I like the blurred background. You don't see everything across the street.


Next was onto these wiggle worms. Christi and I experimented with adjusting the aperture (I think) and I got a lot of blurry ones at home with these two because they move so much. The one below was where I was trying to get Anna's feet in focus.


This one is probably all wrong with the lighting and such, according to the rules of photography. Her feet are shadowed, but she's still got cute piggies.



Trying out the foot shot on Wyatt....here is when it got a little more difficult as Anna was bouncing over the side of the sofa waving a piece of paper in front of the camera and trying to get her feet in the picture.





So this is where I stopped. I am glad I know just a tad bit more, and maybe with lots more practice I will become comfortable using all the setting on my camera. Christi, if you try anything new, post your pics! And those of you who know a thing or two about photography, feel free to leave a comment with your best tips!




5 comments:

Aly sun said...

Share what lens you are using. I could never get the depth of focus I was looking for until I got my fixed lens that goes to a 1.8f. I often find it too easy to let "auto" do the work, so good for you for taking time to learn. I just got a new camera and feel like I am a beginner again (although I am loving it).

Christi said...

Nice job practicing! It's fun to learn new stuff and have study sessions again :) I tried a little bit and I will post some when I have the chance to try some more!

lori said...

You know, I really like the one where Anna's feet are shadowed. It has a cool look to it; the focus is shared between the feet and then her lit up face and hair in the background. I too dig that fuzzy background thing. Good work! Looks like fun.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

what a fun way to spend time with a friend! and the shots are great.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I guess I haven't been here since Wyatt's birthday. I like what you've done with the place :)! Cute name, cute template, cuteness abounds!

I love that you're studying your camera. I keep telling Shane we must do that with ours because it's collecting dust. It's very intimidating (we have the Canon 40D.) I keep going back to my old camera. I agree with Alysun, the lens that goes to 1.8f will allow you to take a lot of the shots that so many of us see and admire in others' pictures.