Friday, May 15, 2009

Company Girl Coffee

One of our small things this week over at Home Sanctuary was to organize our pens and pencils. After I organized the jars of pens and pencils I have by each phone I moved onto:


The Kids Art Tub


Anybody have something that looks like this at home? Well I did. A few days before I had seen THIS LINK on organizing art supplies, and thought, "I should do something like that will all our art supplies". So I dug in, sorted all the pens, pencils, crayons and paints. Threw out the dried out pens with no lids and broken crayons. Dug out some of my pretty canning jars and whalla....this turned into.....


THIS!!



Already Anna and Wyatt have been getting good use out of these organized art supplies, and I am so glad I took a little time to get it done. One reason I love Home Sanctuary, is that am inspired to get little things accomplished every day, that would otherwise be put off, again and again!



If you have little budding artists at home too, let me recommend a couple books:


Great Artists by Maryann F. Kohl ~ this book contains hands-on art projects for kids that are styled after the great masters of art. I copied off a few to hopefully try with the kiddos this summer.

ABC Museum by the Metropolitan Museum of Art~ This is a really fun one for all ages (little kids especially!) each letter of the alphabet has a word chosen, which is represented by 4 works of art. So, for example "A is for apple" shows 4 different works of art with an apple in it. Wyatt was easily able to read this one, and Anna loved it, too!

(both books I found at the library)




14 comments:

Diane said...

Er...I have no kids, but my pen/pencil bin does tend to look like that.

Cheryl said...

Wow - great job on your art supplies! When they're organized and you can SEE what you have, it's much more fun to be creative. Have a wonderful weekend! Thank you for the coffee! :)

Jolanthe said...

I love the organization idea, I just wish I had a place to store them like that....one that wouldn't be well within the reach of a certain 2 year old.

Someday. Someday. :)


Have a great week!

Jolanthe
http://noordinarymomentsblog.com

Kara @ Just1Step said...

Nice job organizing!! I bet the kids love it!!

Have a great weekend. :)

Unknown said...

Super cute idea!! I just got some old canning jars from my mother in law! Can't wait to put them to good use! Thanks for the tip!

Michelle said...

Wow! Such an amazing difference, and I love the look of canning jars....we actually use those for our drinking glasses, I just love the look and feel of them. :-) Thanks for sharing your "small thing"! I love how the small things make a big difference.

Christi said...

Oh, the organization makes my heart flutter...I am so weird that way. I have been on an organizing kick today...I may have to head to our craft supplies. I love Home Sanctuary. Thanks for the book recs too - those sound awesome!

L2L said...

I've so not been doing any of my small things this week, but man having organized art supplies once and for all, well that is rewarding enough. Just might have to do some homework this weekend, thanks for the motivation!!!

Rachel Anne said...

I feel like I should feature your AFTER picture in a magazine!! Fabulous AND decorative. The jars are just the thing.

I organized my paint brushes into some colorful pots I found at Hobby Lobby and it makes me happy to see them. I should go get some more...for the pens and pencils.

I love the small things...love that you love the small things...how would I cope with life without them?? Little joys!

Aisling said...

We have an art basket, but at 14 and 17 I doubt either of my boys have touched it in years. Maybe it's time for a clear out, so I can use it for something else.

Joyce said...

I love it!! Thanks for sharing the link. I was wondering what I would do with my sauce jars...and what to do with my daughter's arts and crafts stuff. This is perfect. Not sure if I'll get around to doing it soon though....

Have a fantastic weekend!

http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com

mholgate said...

I keep pens, pencils, and other supplies in my canning jars too! :) Great job! I have to keep them out of reach of my youngest two, who need close supervision when making masterpieces. (You may have seen my coffee post about our poor dog Max.) I'd like to do more arts and crafts this summer while school is out. Must keep those little brains stimulated during summer break, right?

Have a great upcoming week!
-Melissa

secondofwett said...

Looks very organized and appealing! The pens and pencils in our house always seemed to get chewed up by one absent minded teen while she's on the computer! Very frustrating!

mholgate said...

Hi Lindsay! Thanks for stopping by my blog today. :) No, I don't live in Oregon. I live in Washington. My Grandparents used to live in Waldport, OR when I was growing up though. I sure miss that place.

-Melissa