Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What a wonderful day

I know the majority of people with kids in the public school system see a snow day as something that interrupts their schedule. Working parents have to make arrangement for their kids, and things just generally get thrown out of whack. With Craig being a teacher we have always been in the public school system and I continue to LOVE a snow day. Although a 5:11am call woke me up this morning to alert us of the two hour delay, I had no problem just turning my alarm off and going back to sleep. When I rolled out of bed at about 7:30 (major sleeping in for me) I was greeted to Craig and the kiddos snuggling and watching cartoons. A little after 8am we received yet another phone call giving us the news that school was cancelled! "SCHOOL'S CANCELLED", I yelled and we all began giving each other hi-fives, even Anna joined in on the fun, not really understanding what all the excitement was about. I not only had a lazy day with the kids to look forward to, but my husband had an unexpected free day off work, with pay! So cool. Now, can you see why I love "snow" days so much?

And, of course, here in Oregon a "snow" day seldom really means you're really stuck at home. We had a couple errands to run in Salem and then went to the Gilbert house for about an hour. Craig got some projects done around the house this afternoon and I have been working on Anna's new room. I hope to have it finished by the end of the week, so I will take pictures so you all can enjoy. She's slept really well for two nights in her BIG GIRL bed. I am so proud of her and yet a little sad that now the crib is definitely a thing of the past. Her room is turning out pretty cute though, and I'm excited to finish it.

So, just a random update. It was a wonderful day!

3 comments:

LizzyG said...

I almost did a post today about how happy I was about the school delay. It really brought out the kid in me this morning when I woke up at 6:00, looked out the window and saw a light dusting of snow! I quickly checked online...and yes!!! 2 hour delay! I was so pumped. I crawled back in bed, and slept as long as possible, till Daniel and Sarah came running in my room saying, "Mom it's 8:30, we're going to be late!" It was so fun to smile at them and say, "look out the window"

It truly was a blessing to have a lazy fun morning with my kids!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Lin! I'm so happy for you guys. What a fun treat, especially with Craig at home, too.

Tiffany said...

I can relate to your "sleeping in" being 7:30am. Gone are the days when we could lounge in bed until 10, 11am or (gulp) NOON!!!! When the kiddos call, the mommies jump!