Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Opinions, please!

At the risk of sounding like my mom, who is always fussing over her hair, I'm going to post about the same topic because I need some feedback.
This friday I am getting my hair cut. I'm not sure what to do. My "goal" was to grow it out long, but whenever it reaches this point I always get frustrated with it and cut it off. I have a lot of hair, but it is fine in texture and tends to look stringy when it gets too long. Maybe after 32 years I will have to resign to the fact that I am not a long hair kind of girl.
This is my hair right after I finished doing it. Currently I am using one of those curling irons that blows out hot hair to give it some body when it is nearly dry. I used to use hot rollers but they broke. It looks this way for approximately 40 minutes, then falls flat. 99% of the time it ends up in a ponytail before the day is over.
The next issue is bangs. My bangs now reach my nose and I can't decide weather I want to cut them again or not. I have lots of options:
  • cut bangs
  • just get everything trimmed
  • get a few inches cut off
  • get more layers
  • don't get layers
  • or a combination of the above
Also, color. You probably couldn't tell, but I am not a natural blonde. Sometimes I get all highlights and sometimes I have low lights put in as well to balance out the color in the ends. The last time I got all highlights since it was the beginning of summer. Too fake? Should I put in low lights this time?
So ladies, I need opinions.
I know, shallowest post ever.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Lindsay! We all have hair issues at some point I think. My advice would be to get more (longer)layers and continue growing out. That is what I am currently doing. My stylist said that it helps lighten the weight of your hair when growing out to avoid the "weighed down" stringy look and add body. Also....the whole color thing is currently an issue for me too. I used to have hair far more red than now. So I would occasionally do darker red lowlights to make my hair be more like it was. But now the expense is a little much (because red looks obvious when growing out)having to go and get the roots done all the time. So I had someone match close to my now natural color and just throw in a touch of strawberry so that I can go much longer between having to get my hair done (or possibly stop coloring all together with ease). But can we have a talk about white hairs? Seriously they have a mind of their own and mine seem to be coming in patches!!! Good luck and have fun with it. Your hair is lovely :)

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

I think you look wonderful, and I've always loved your hair color. It looks very natural and matches your kids (unlike my hair color!). I'm sorry I can't be much help!

Aly sun said...

Yes, your hair looks great. But I can appreciate the fact that hair looks fantastic right after you do it and then it has a mind of its own. Personally, I see no reason to put up with long hair if it is going to be a pony-tail 90% of the time. It only took me 28 years to decide that for myself. If I were you and had fine hair (which I don't), I would get some short choppy bangs, get your stylist to do a bob between chin and shoulder length with not too much a-line (too heavy on your face). It would be like a wedge, not an aline -- I'm not sure how those angles go. I would also darken your color up a bit for fall because it is just fun to have a change. I can't wait to see what you decide... see, I am just as shallow as yoU!

lori said...

I say short and sassy. It looks awesome as it is, but I totally feel ya on pulling it into a ponytail every single dingle day. You have a great face for short hair!

Oddly enough, I was talking to a friend a couple weeks ago about this exact same hair dilemma and decided that before I made a massive change I'd do a blog poll. I wondered the same thing you did - would people think I was so shallow? But reading your entry, it seems perfectly normal and the way it should be - the modern "ask the girlfriends" thing, across the backyard fence / computer screen.

KLB said...

Hair! I hear ya sister! I have fine hair as well. I usually keep my hair on the shorter side because of this reason. I think your hair is really pretty, but if it falls flat, I understand your frustration. Maybe go just below the shoulders, with layers. That would give it more body. The bang thing...do a side swoop. That way you have a little bang, but can get rid of them if you want to.

Just remember...Hair grows out

Tiffany said...

I feel your pain. My hubby hinted that he'd like to see my hair long again but I'm also at the point where I want to whack it all off!

I'd say if you are ready for a change, don't make it subtle as you probably won't feel satisfied afterward. Go for the gusto! I think you'd look super cute with a shorter bob, layered (to deal with the fine hair/flat issue). Nice and easy, but very cute and stylish. Oh, and I'd vote for side swoop bangs too. Very chic. Maybe even stack it a bit in the back! Can't wait to see the final result!

Color...that is a hard one. If you don't mind the upkeep I'd keep the highlights going strong. If you are tired of the upkeep maybe ask your hairdresser to tone down the highlights and even mix in some of your natural color to get back to the basics.

Kelly said...

I love your hair color and think it looks very natural despite not being a "real blond." I think you're a real blond if that's how you were as a child! I was, but now I have to pay for it. I have migrated toward a darker blond with some highlights and low lights so that my grow out isn't as noticeable. With having so much hair, but fine hair, I would add a few more layers in the back and towards the front because they would tend to hold body better and maybe taper your bangs. I think your hairstyle is great and so is the color!