Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The day after.....

I look forward to the day after Thanksgiving all year. But for me, it's not about shop, shop shop and spend, spend spend..... it's about family, friends, making memories and, screamin' deals.

We draw names of both sides of our family so I have three children's gifts and two grown-up gift to buy for each side. I buy one "bigger" item for the kids, then just stocking stuffers. Same for Craig and I. This year we are not spending more than what is in our bank account. Just a bit of money set aside, so you can rest easy, I'm not going into debt over Christmas gifts.. Now, here are the reasons I look forward to this day in the same way Craig looks forward to opening morning of hunting season:

My Dad- yes, MY DAD, comes shopping with us. My dad mostly goes for the stories and he's a real conversationalist. We'll be waiting in line for doors to open and before you know it we have found out what deals the people behind us in line are after. Last year while my mom and I were in Sears my dad waited for 45 minutes in line at Sports Authority for a $10 gift card. While he was waiting he got to talking with two gals behind him in line. It turned out that my dad and one of the gals were the last to get the gift card. So my dad GAVE his gift card to the other lady! When he told us he said, "there wasn't really anything I needed in there anyway." My dad cracks me up. He also treats us all to breakfast later that morning. He's the best.

My Mom- my mom tags along because she doesn't want to miss out on the fun. She's not as into it, but she'll gladly stand in line while I race around the store gathering items on my list. She is friendly and never gets impatient. I'm sure the retail employees love her, as do I.

My sister and her friend- We usually have separate routes. I'm usually at Freddies while they're at Toys-R-Us. They'll pick up something for me off my list and I'll do the same for them. We communicate via cell phone multiple times that morning. They are great!

My other sister and niece- Last year they called us from Kohls while we were in JCPenny and warned us "DO NOT COME TO KOHLS, IT IS A MADHOUSE HERE!" It's was nice to be forewarned and we moved along to the next stop while they were trapped in a crazy Kohls.

My mother-in-law- This year she'll be accompanying my on my 3:30am drive into town. I love her because she's just as into it as I am. A few years ago she went with me and I met her in the kitchen in the wee hours of the morning as we were preparing to leave. I was giddy with anticipation and excitement (for the big hunt) and she looks up at me and inquires, "every hour?" Meaning we have so much trouble sleeping the night before, that we are up every hour checking the clock. I burst into laughter. She's a girl after my own heart.

Breakfast- after about 4-5 hours of shopping we all gather for breakfast to rehash our deals and tell our best stories over a yummy omelet. Usually my dad invites whoever else he knows is out shopping and wants a break. It's tons of fun.

Nap- Once back home sleep usually find me in the form of a nap. It is a peaceful slumber, much different than the night before, as I dream about all the great buys I got and how my Christmas shopping is done!

So, do you still call me crazy.....of are you a die-hard just like me??

3 comments:

Aly sun said...

I loved reading your description. I LOVE the day after Thanksgiving shopping too and always go. This year, I am so excited to go with my mom and my sister -- we've already planned our attack.

My favorite memory was when my hubby went with me when our daughter, Emma, was 2 weeks old. She'd been crying all night, so at 4am we just decided to go shop with all the crazy people. It was really fun to have such a tiny baby -- people literally parted the isles for us and the Emma was mesmerized by all the people and was perfect!

handfull of johnsons said...

OH, LIN! I've been envious of your shopping trip since COLLEGE!!! When will we EVER get to be neighbors once again? I just want to be closer so we can do all the fun stuff together. Birthday parties, Croptoberfest, anything. I just miss you always. HAVE FUN and BE SAFE!

Christi said...

I'm not a die-hard, but I sure do love that about you.

I remember toting along with you once or twice. Your dad was the best part.