Sunday, August 26, 2007

Toddlerhood.....the third time


The past few days have been what I like to call "toddler" days with Anna. I know full well she is not a baby anymore, at 21 months (this week!), but seriously where does the time go? I was talking to a friend the other day and she said, "My kids are growing so fast, I feel like I'm going to wake up tomorrow and be in a nursing home". Sometimes I feel the same way. I know these moments are fast, fleeting and so, so precious, and I'm so grateful I get to expeience every stage as a mommy. I was venting to another friend after church today about how Anna has been giving me a run for my money lately, and she reminded me....."It's just the stage". It was good to hear it from someone who's been there and it sure puts life into perspective. This too shall pass. There will come a day when the house is very clean and too quiet. But for today, here are some glimpes from one of my toddler days.


Signs your baby has turned into a toddler:


She screames to be put down all through worship at church and a well meaning lady looks quizzically at you and asks if she's teething. (Uh, no---she's just almost 2)


You come out to the kitchen to find a drenched toddler and a HUGE puddle of water on the kitchen floor and your toddler is stomping/splashing around in it. (Gotta love the low end water dispensing fridges with no lock on the water dispenser.)


A few minutes after the water incident you come out to find your toddler has squeezed half a tube of toothpaste on the coffee table and is scrubbing it in with her toothbrush and alternately brushing her teeth.
Again, you come into the kitchen to find a plate of leftover carrot cake turned upside down on the floor.


"Say sue" is thank you.


"mine" and "no" are other commonly heard words.


"Come to mamma" is code for "run as fast as you can around and around the van so momma will look like an idiot to all the neighbors watching while she chases you".


She has pen marks up and down both arms from coloring on herself.


She now gives the sweetest (non-slobbery!) kisses and hugs.....and you constantly find yourself gazing at her in awe of the little girl she is becoming.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Boy, do I hear you! Maree was so different from Aaron that it really took me by surprise. Aaron was so mellow and sweet, didn't get into things etc. Maree, she was just trouble. It started to get easier once she was about 2 1/2-3. She is still sassy and strong willed, but at least she is not constantly getting into stuff. So, yes, this too shall pass. It will get easier, but I know it is hard when you're in the midst of it!

Anonymous said...

I like your new colors :-)! Anna is so beautiful and it reminds me of what I'll be going through again shortly with Matthew. It's been a few years since we've had a toddler in the house. She's a sweetie and you'll make it through these years beautifully and she's so blessed to have such great big brothers to look after her too in the years to come! Hope you're all doing great!

Aly sun said...

So true! I love your insight into "toddlerdom." The "Come" command meaning run around and around the car is SO TRUE. This stage is stretching, challenging, tiring, exhausting, and beyond rewarding.

Valorie Leonard said...

I wanted to see the photo of the coffee table :)

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

When I say, "Cole, come here!" he immediately throws whatever it was that he was not supposed to have and runs as fast as he can. Love it!

You know how you go through ups and downs in mommyhood? Well, I'm on a high because I am constantly reminding myself that it will all be over way too soon. My babies are getting big so fast!! We are so lucky to be witness to it all!

Tami said...

And, I hear you, too--so funny how I am identifying with all your posts as I read through--it's so good to hear I'm not alone in thinking things--like the one where you said about they grow up so fast--I just can't get over that one--a day seems like an hour--and every year is faster than the previous--it gets worse and not better. The lack of hours in the day, couple with the speed at which my kids grow and change, is my biggest issue right now.
Anyway, Cate is getting into her terrible twos now. I see the mischief in her face. She is so sweet, smiley, and loving, yet she is also so determined. She is giving me a run for my money lately, too.