Monday, August 13, 2007

More of our week in GP: The Illinois River

This is one of our most favorite, little known, and hard to get to spots along the river. It is steep trek down, but that's what makes it so great, it's private and so beautiful. There is a big rock to jump from, and a little sandy beach area. We brought along a fried chicken dinner and cooled of swimming and playing in the river.
Here we are starting a family float upstream, (I was being brave and adventursome) which didn't last long because Anna got tired of it and started crying. We were swimming over to the shore to drop her off with Papa and continue our float when we ran into this little fella.....

For a second I tried to stay calm but the snake was spooked and started swimming out towards me. I pretty much went into hysterics, my heart was beating so hard. After he swam away I declined the offer to continue the "float" :) Can't say I didn't try.

What could be better than eating watermelon piece after piece on the rocks in your swim diaper??

Perhaps, "skinny dippin' " in the river afterwards?? Needless to say she is QUITE the water girl, at this point the sun was going down and the water was quite cold, in fact her lips were looking a little purple, yet she still cried when we got her out.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love the pictures...such a beautiful little family you have! Love the river! Anna's curls remind me so much of Sarah's at that age...super cute kiddos (and momma and daddy too!)

Aly sun said...

I imagine they would be recovering my passed-out body down stream after seeing a snake swimming in the water!!!! AHHH.
Great to see all your pictures.

Christi said...

You look SO beautiful in that first picture of Anna and you. I was cracking up picturing you freaking out at the snake, but yeah, I would have been doing the same.

Valorie Leonard said...

I'm with you. I don't share water well with snakes or much of anything else that moves!