Monday, August 20, 2007

Defining moments

I just stumbled upon this while sorting through files on my computer. It is something I wrote a few years ago, one of the rare occasions that I "write", but I was inspired to do so, at the time. Reading it again, now, just reminded me of how blessed I am through each of my children. How they each are so unique and have taught me different things. I thought I'd post it......may you mother's be encouraged today as well, in the very important job you are doing!

DEFINING MOMENTS

It had been a long morning. I was in the thick of morning sickness with my second pregnancy. After an upsetting phone call with a family member I was feeling hurt and rejected, not to mention nauseous and hormonal. As I made lunch for my then 18 month old son, Will, I’m sure I was muttering under my breath. We sat down to eat. Will in his high chair, me at the table. I dug into my food still somewhat oblivious to Will. About halfway through my sandwich I looked at him. I was still stewing from the events of the morning and by this point I was tearing up. Will caught my eyes, held out peanut butter covered hands and tentatively said “Amen?” It was more of a question, then a statement. You see, I had forgotten to pray. We had always prayed together before meals. I melted. The tears rolled down my cheeks and my anger was immediately washed away by a simple reminder from my toddler son.

It was what I now call a “defining moment” in parenthood. I had dreamed of being a mother all my life. It was all I ever really wanted to be. I was so proud of my new role, proud of Will and all the things that I would teach HIM. What I failed to realize up until now, was just all that HE was teaching ME. I at last understood why God had blessed me with Will. God was using my child to teach me to trust Him, to go to Him everyday, regardless of my circumstances. God was at work through this little child to capture my heart, to soften me. The Lord was teaching me to be like Will and to quietly say “Amen”.

I grabbed Will’s hands, “Yes, sweetie, let’s pray. Mommy forgot. Thanks so much for reminding me.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this!

Christi said...

Love that.

Tami said...

Oh, wow--you have such beautiful writing--every post as I scroll down. I choked up at this one--we've all been there at some point. Yes, God does use our children to teach us, shape us...and humble us...on and on...one of my lessons, as I get angry when my children disobey repeatedly, is how my child's poor behavior is not so unlike mine in disobeying God at various times. Yet, how much more patient and loving He is to me--so full of grace.

I'm reading Sacred Parenting--How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls, by Gary L. Thomas--good one on this same topic.