Saturday, December 11, 2010

Mexican Spice


Here's something you can mix up for your own pantry, or turn into a cute gift.


I found a recipe for a taco seasoning mix that is really yummy and so much cheaper than the spice packets I used to buy. I mixed up a bunch, packaged it in snack size baggies with a little label I made on the computer, and put it in a gift bag with canned tomatoes and canned salsa from this summer. These will be my kiddos teacher gifts this year, along with instructions for cooking up a "mexican night". My theory it anything simple can be jazzed up to look cute, with a gift tag or label. I'm all about making practical, useful gifts, look more fun!
Recipe for the taco seasoning found here: (I usually times it by 4 and it makes a small jar-full for my cupboard) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx
Another great mix idea is hot chocolate. My friend Ashley shared a recipe, which is simple:
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar
whisk together in a bowl and add a pinch of cayenne for kick if desired (I left it out)
Use 2 tbs./ mug of WARM milk, stir to dissolve. She uses soy milk and it works wonderfully, as well.
This is a rich and creamy hot chocolate, myself and my kids love it. Would make a cute gift in a jar or baggie along with candy canes and those cute vanilla flavored snowman shaped marshmallows. Have you seen those? Love 'em.
Perfect cold weather treat!

No comments: